Welp! It’s that time of year again. So what do you need to have done prior to the first day of school? Use this back to school checklist for teachers to help get your back to school to do list all checked off. This is perfect first year teacher checklist, but also works for an experienced teacher’s back to school to do list! Here are the categories of all of the things you should have in line before the first day of school.
- Curriculum & Calendar
- Parent communication
- Bulletin boards
- Student desks
Curriculum & Calendar:
- Number and label all student books
- Organize your student library
- Donate all books you will not be using
- Finalize your weekly schedule
- Take one day to glance through any new curriculum
- Write in important dates on calendar
- Plan first two weeks of lessons using math activities for back to school and ice breaker games.
- Write parent and student welcome letters (want this editable template free? sign up for my newsletter!)
- Collect parent email addresses and sign up for Class Dojo or another form of online communication
Any checklist for first year teachers will have a lengthy bulletin board ideas. I wanted to keep this short, so check my link below for the complete resources!
- Get bulletin board ideas for back to school from my other blog post!
- Decorate your door with a welcome message
- Write a nice note on the whiteboard for the first day of school
- Make name tags for your students
- Put books and pencils on each of the students desks
- Organize students into groups
- Write students names on sticks or ping pong balls to call on them to answer questions
- Create folders for each of your students with important documents
- Sharpen pencils
I hope you enjoyed this back to school checklist for teachers. If you are still looking for more ideas, check out ideas for setting up your classroom.